It’s still January so I can still talk about this year’s resolutions, right?
Last year was a pretty good year for me. I started learning Turkish in April (for no particular reason). My short story “Glory Night,” which I’d sold in 2017, came out in July. I sold “No Mercy to the Rest” to Podcastle, which came out in December. I sold another short story to F&SF, due out this year. I made some laser-cut topographic maps of Cape Cod Bay and Mars. I went to Dublin for WorldCon in August. I refinished my back deck and grew some vegetables.
Here were last year’s goals:
- Read 50 books. According to Goodreads, I read 52.
- Finish 5 short stories. I think I finished 4. I started many more than that, and have a couple nearly completed, but my goal said “finish” and I did not finish 5.
- At least one short story on submission at all times. Yup, did this.
- Finish a novel. Did this too, and am currently in the middle of revisions.
- Start one regular physical activity (such as jogging, rock climbing, an exercise class, or something new) that I stick with at least once per week for at least six months. I went regularly to a spin class, two barre classes, and a yoga class. Then all but the spin class were canceled, and I finally had to drop my Y membership because I couldn’t afford it anymore. However, I did also start gardening and doing some strenuous home improvements, which I’ll count as physical activity.
- A SINGLE PULL UP. I did this! I DID THIS ONE! This has been on my list of resolutions for years and I! finally! did! it!
And now for this year’s goals:
- Read 50 books – Might as well keep this up. So far I’ve read two.
- Finish 12 short stories – I know this is a huge jump up, especially after not reaching my goal last year. But I’m hoping to do one per month. I have one nearly completed for January. I’ve also completed two flash stories, which I guess count? I plan to expand them both into longer stories, though.
- One story on submission at all times – Always good to have this one.
- Finish novel revisions and start querying agents
- Start one regular physical activity – Ideally one I can do even when the weather is cold.
- Blog about my various projects – I have lots of stuff planned this year (art, home improvements, gardening, etc) and I think it might be interesting to post about them.
- TWO PULL UPS – Can’t rest on my laurels with this one.
Anybody else have New Year’s resolutions?